Command Fitness Leader (CFL) Certification Course
- Command Fitness Leaders (CFLs) play an integral part in the overall fitness and readiness of Sailors. CFLs are not only responsible for conducting the bi-annual Preventive Health Assessment (PFA) for their commands, but also provide exercise programming and guidance throughout the year to ensure the members of their command maintain physical readiness.
- All CFLs must be trained and certified through the five-day Command Fitness Leader Certification Course, which covers the administrative actions and duties of a CFL, basic exercise physiology and nutrition principles and basic PRIMS training, as well as intense daily gym sessions teaching various methods for exercise programming.
- Upon the conclusion of this course, CFLs will have the skills, education and motivation to lead the way in establishing and maintaining a culture of fitness for their command and the United States Navy.
- Within 3 months of assignment as CFL, CFLs must complete OPNAV approved 5-day CFL certification course. To sign up, CFLs must fill out all requested information on the CNIC application and include a copy of their CPR card, CO’s appointment letter of designation, and PRT results from PRIMS.
For CFL applications, click here.
Important Notice: The cardiovascular assessment of the PRT will include the 1.5 mile run/walk only (no swim, treadmill or bike will be substituted). If you do not meet the BCA requirement for a CFL and do not score an overall of Excellent or higher on the PRT you will be removed from the course. No Exceptions.
CFL Certification Course
Prior to requesting a seat all documentation must be received and approved. The application must be received by the application deadline as stated on the CFL Course Schedule posted on the Navy Fitness website.
1. CFL Course Application: Fill out all requested information on the CFL Course Application. Send the completed application along with all supporting documentation listed below (CPR, Designation Letter, PRIMS report), as a single PDF attachment, to CNIC_CFLTraining.firstname.lastname@example.org.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATION PACKAGES WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY DISAPPROVED AND MEMBER WILL BE REQUIRED TO RESUBMIT A COMPLETE APPLICATION PACKAGE.
2. Supporting Documents: The following documents are a required part of the application package and should be included with your submission:
- Current CPR card (front and back). If CPR cards have not been issued the following is acceptable: a memo or formal course roster as long as it includes the passing grade, the instructors printed name, signature, and the course date.
- CFL/ACFL Designation Letter. Provide a copy of the CO’s letter appointing you as the CFL or ACFL. Refer to Sample Format CFL Designation Transfer Letter.
- “Member BC/PFA Detail” PRIMS report. Printout must show an overall score of excellent or better. If you did not participate due to a legitimate waiver your Command may conduct a mock PFA and provide the results in a letter on command letterhead to be forwarded with the PRIMS printout. Refer to Sample Official PFA Verification Letter.
3. Seat Request/Registration: Once the application has been approved by the CFL Course Administrator, an email will be sent with instructions on how to request an official seat through CANTRAC (eNTRS).
Note: in order to be officially registered into the course a seat must be requested and approved by the CFL Course Administrator via eNTRS. If no one at your Command has access to eNTRS then please advise CNIC_CFLTraining.email@example.com and they may make the booking for you.
Important notice regarding the CFL Course
All participants are required to be within height/weight standards,
For those that exceed height/weight standards, participant must be one percent (1%) below the age-adjusted body fat standard as determined by the Body Circumference (BC) measurement,
All participants are required to score an excellent or higher on the mock PFA in order to remain in the class. The cardiovascular assessment of the PRT will include the 1.5 mile run/walk only (no alternate cardio will be substituted).
If you do not achieve the requirements as stated above (1-3), then participant will be dismissed from the class with instructions to return to respective command. No Exceptions.
Those that show up to the course without prior approval through the CFL Course Administrator will be dismissed from the class with instructions to return to respective command. No Exceptions.
All participants must score a minimum of 80 on the post-test given at the end of the course to graduate and receive a CFL certificate.